Adapted from 1,001 Vegetarian Recipes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 oz) reduce-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion and garlic in lightly grease medium saucepan until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomato sauce and herbs. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Season to taste with salt/pepper.
*The original recipe calls for green pepper. I was making a magherita pizza the first time I made this recipe, so I left it out. If you want to try it with the peppers (which I will next time), through the 1/4 cup chopped green pepper in with the onion and garlic!